Arquitectonica, Oppenheim Architecture + Design and Mateu Architecture were among the big winners at the 58th Annual American Institute of Architects Miami Design Awards gala Friday night.
Arquitectonica and Oppenheim Architecture + Design both won twice for different projects, and Mateu Architecture was named Firm of the Year during the awards at the Frank Gehry-designed New World Center on Miami Beach.
The awards honored excellence in architecture, interior design, landscape, unbuilt design, student design, and the architecture firm of the year.
“The AIA Miami Design Awards highlight the very best that Miami has to offer. The competition continues to be extremely strong. Each winner personifies the creativity, innovation, and talent inherent in Miami’s architectural community,” stated Alex Silva, AIA Miami Chapter President. “More and more, Miami architects and designers are being lauded throughout the world for their unique outlook and exceptional work, and we are enormously proud to call them our own.”
A panel of architects and designers from California judged 140 applicants and bestowed 17 awards in six categories. The projects can be located elsewhere, but the applicants must practice in Miami or the Keys.
The complete winners of the 2012 AIA Miami Design Awards are:
• Excellence in Architecture: Arquitectonica, Florida International University School of International & Public Affairs (SIPA)
• Excellence in Architecture: Arquitectonica, East Los Angeles College Performing & Fine Arts Complex;
Excellence in Interior Design award-winner DEN Architecture for the Bilezikjian Apartment renovation.
• Excellence in Architecture: Cure and Penabad Architecture & Urban Design, MDO Building
• Excellence in Architecture: Max Strang Architecture, Lakehouse Residence
• Excellence in Architecture: Perez & Perez Architects Planners, Inc., Miami International Airport Metrorail Station
• Excellence in Architecture: Perkins + Will, Signature Place
• Excellence in Interior Design: DEN Architecture, Bilezikjian Apartment Renovation
• Excellence in Interior Design: FORMA Design Inc., BloÄ Dental
• Landscape Architecture: Raymond Jungles, Inc., 1111 Lincoln Road
• Unbuilt Design Award: Cure and Penabad Architecture & Urban Design, IMSA
• Unbuilt Design Award: Oppenheim Architecture + Design, Bel Air
• Unbuilt Design Award: Oppenheim Architecture + Design, Wharf Road
• Unbuilt Design Award: R & R Studios, Roberto Behar & Rosario Maquardt, Toftegards Plads Syd
• Unbuilt Design Award: Rene Gonzalez Architect, Dune Road Residence
• Student Design Award: Daisy Marie Nodal/Florida International University, Miami of Tomorrow
• Student Design Award: Eric Rodgers/University of Miami, Prana Fazenda House
• Firm of the Year: Mateu Architecture
• People’s Choice Award – Project Selected by the Public: 2020 Alton Road – Cube House
AIA Miami Honor Awards
The AIA Miami Honor Awards for 2012 were juried by a local committee to recognize outstanding achievement in architecture, urban design, contracting, engineering and other related industries. The honorees are:
• Architect of the Year: John Forbes, AIA – Forbes Architects
• Young Architect of the Year: Alyssa Kriplen, AIA – Allan T. Shulman Architect
• Urban Designer of the Year: Duany Plater-Zyberk & Co.
• Associate of the Year: Yovanna Alvarez, Associate AIA – HKS Architects
• Architectural Photographer of the Year: Greg Clark
• Contractor of the Year: Coastal Construction
• Consulting Engineer of the Year: John Moulder, PE
• Developer of the Year: Goldman Properties
• Leader in Education: Jean Francois LeJeune
• Leadership in Government: Alberto Carvalho
• Writing About Architecture: Marilys Nepomechie, FAIA
• Historic Preservation Award: William Cary
Larry’s Cap Rock and Stone would like to congratulate the award winners.